International Rice Research Institute – Vietnam Office
Recruiting Senior Associate Scientist I – Biotechnology / Biochemistry
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
This position will be recruited for R&D on biotechnology – alternatives to chemical fertilizers. In the first 3 years contract, S/he will be a key researcher to implement the activities under the USDA – Fertilizer Right Project. This project aims to increase farming and fertilizer use efficiency, effectiveness and develop alternatives to chemical fertilizers and reduce GHG emissions.
The position will deliver important outputs of the ‘Fertilize Right Vietnam’ (FRV) project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop alternatives to chemical fertilizers
- Lead in conducting field trials to validate alternatives to chemical fertilizers applied for rice and coffee
- Manage and develop technical packages and training materials on precision farming and site-specific nutrient management for rice in Vietnam;
- Lead the capacity building on – and scaling of – the above technologies and innovations
- Manage and oversee on project coordination activities such as workshops, reports, etc.
- Align and pro-actively engage with the project partners, e.g. DARDs, national institutions, etc.
- Supervise technicians to conduct the related experiments, field trials, and demonstrations
- Deliver timely and outcome-oriented strategies and reports to relevant IRRI staff
- Ensure and prepare the quality of research/technical reports and data
- Data management to guarantee quality data, data back up, and data integrity
- MSc on Biotechnology / Biochemistry, and at least 6 years of relevant experience
- PhD on Biotechnology / Biochemistry, and at least 3 years of relevant experience
- Background in biotechnology / biochemistry
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience relevant to fertilizer
- Have a mix of practical field skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience with rice and/ or coffee
How to apply
- Application is supposed to be submited via the link below:
Here’s thelink for your reference.
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired.